Tuesday 21 February 2012

Peacock Wedding

While I have some ideas of cards to make, I've got nothing new to show you today. So I thought I'd go back and look at some work I've done in the past.

Last year, I made wedding invitations for a couple who wanted peacock feathers included. This project led to a number of panicky moments:

First, when I discovered it's not so easy to find peacock feathers. I pictured myself NOT making friends at the Toronto zoo, as I chased down and plucked feathers from peacocks (they bite, you know!). Finally found a place on Queen Street, where all the fabric and ribbon stores are.

Then I had a hard time finding ribbon to match - you wouldn't have thought it was so hard, but the first one I found was almost $5/metre (that's about the same as a yard). That would have cost about $1 per invitation. In the end, I found some that cost about $0.15 per invitation.

Then, how to tie a knot so it would lie flat. I literally watched HOURS of Youtube, trying to figure that out. And then hours more, practicing!

And finally, figuring out how to attach the feather so that the recipient could detach the feather without removing the ribbon and 'ruining' the invitation. In the end, I put a glue dot under each side of the flat knot and just stuck the feather between the knot and the card - the glue dots held the ribbon in position on the front of the card, and created a little 'channel' for the feather to fit into, and it could be pulled out and put back in.

Despite all this panic, I was thrilled with the results - and so were the happy couple! (click on images to enlarge). The invitation was 6x6 and went into a shimmery gold envelope.



This was the 4.25"x4.25" thank you card I made to match - very simple - gold embossing on gold shimmer paper, with a vanilla panel inside, to make it easy to write on.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Supplies:
Invitation
Stamps: Papertrey flourishes
Paper: Vellum Cardstock, very vanilla, pacific point, early espresso, gold shimmer
Ink: laser printed, versamark
Accessories: gold embossing powder, brown ribbon, peacock feather

Thank you
Stamps:          (feather),             (thank you)
Paper: Gold shimmer, very vanilla (inside panel)
Ink: Versamark
Accessories: Gold embossing powder

1 comment:

  1. Stunning!! I can see why they were so pleased, so, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.